GETTING TO KNOW YOU
During the fall and spring semesters, enjoy the festivities with us. We want to get to know you! At Cosmo Cultural Nights, meet and greet with us, while celebrating the cultural diversity of our campus and communities. Cosmo Cultural Nights are good opportunities to step out of our typical networks or social circles, meet new people and learn more about each other's cultures.
Apply to host a Cosmo Cultural Night
Are you a cultural organization? Consider hosting a Cosmo Cultural Night!
Attend a Cosmo Cultural Night
The University YMCA invites cultural organizations to partner with the YMCA to provide unique, engaging, public events to the Champaign, Urbana, and University of Illinois communities. Each month, the University YMCA will select one cultural organization to receive free space, equipment, and publicity for an event that building bridges among persons of various nationalities, races, cultures, and religions and celebrates the cultural diversity of our campus and communities.
- Event must be free and open to public
- Programs must celebrate the legacy of the Cosmopolitan Club, aligning with their motto – “Above all Nations is Humanity” (see below)
- Sponsorship is subject to room availability on the requested date(s).
- Each organization is eligible for event sponsorship for up to 1 event/semester.
- The University YMCA must be listed as a sponsor and the YMCA Global Engagement Logo and “Sponsored by…” text must be on all flyers and electronic promotions.
- Must submit 2-3 pictures of event for use in YMCA publications
- YMCA Global Engagement Email Sign Up Sheet must be made available to attendees.
- Free rental space at the University YMCA (subject to room availability) for the event
- Free room set-up and equipment rental - including projector, sound system, speaker, and mics. (Any additional equipment must be requested from outside vendors at the expense of the sponsoring organization)
- Publicity - Communications toolkit provided by the Y, announced for 2 weeks in the weekly YMCA newsletter and Global Engagement newsletter, YMCA facebook event. Posted on YMCA and community calendars.
- Event photography may be provided with 2 weeks notice (subject to availability of photographer)
Applications must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior to the event. Please note: The YMCA recommends at least 6 weeks notice for events that occur on a specific date (for example: holidays, national celebrations, etc.)
About the University YMCA: Since 1918, the University YMCA has hosted programs to foster international understanding and cultural awareness and provide service to international students, faculty, and staff.
Our historic, 1937 building is located in the heart of campus, across the street from the Main University of Illinois Quad and is accessible by several MTD bus lines. Limited event parking is available after 5 pm and on weekends.
About the Cosmopolitan Club: For over 100 years, the Cosmopolitan Club stood for building bridges among persons of various nationalities, races, cultures, and religions. Members' interest in sharing their cultures contributed to the Cosmopolitan Club's success. Club activities included ethnic dinners, international coffee hours, parties, and various excursions to cultural and social events and local attractions. These programs offered opportunities for Americans and those from other countries to share experiences and exchange ideas.
UPCOMING COSMO CULTURAL NIGHTS:
Día de los Muertos/Day of the Dead
Friday, October 28, 2016 | 6pm-8pm
University YMCA | Latzer Hall
1001 S. Wright Street, Champaign
Día de los Muertos/Day of the Dead is a holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. RSO's will create different altars and there will be food, music, dancing, and an informative presentation.
Music: DJ IL-Noize Ent and performance by Los Concheros
Presentations: Arte Ambulante from the National Museum of Mexican Art
Students-Visiting Scholars-Spouses-Children-Community Residents-English as a 2nd Language-All are Welcome! All Cosmo Coffees are free and open to the public. Got a question about Cosmo Cultural Nights? Contact Enrique at 217-337-1500 or at email@example.com.