Help us match a 10,000 dollar challenge grant from YMCA of the USA!
It’s hard to believe it’s been a year since the Y launched a Welcome Center for Champaign County with a small seed grant from the YMCA of the USA. In just a short period of time, we’ve made so much progress with your help:
- Next month we will launch citizenship instruction classes for immigrants who want to pursue US citizenship;
- In 2018, the Y will file with the Department of Justice so our cohort of 10 trained volunteers can provide legal advice to immigrants;
- We’ve trained eight local immigrant leaders as facilitators and have already hosted three ‘listening sessions’ about local immigrant community needs and challenges they face;
- In 2018, we will roll out Cultural & Linguistic Competency training for front line staff at local health agencies; and
- In March we will release a comprehensive report documenting the positive impact immigrants have on our local economy.
But to continue this important work, it is critical that we generate local financial support to replace the start-up grant we received to kick-off this effort. We are pleased to announce we learned this week that Y-USA will match up to $10,000 in local contributions to support the implementation of these critical programs in the coming year.
If you believe in making Champaign a welcoming community, we hope you help us reach this goal by making a gift at the link below – just write “NAWC match” in the comments section. Gifts of any size will be matched, but several community members have stepped up with $100 to get the ball rolling and we hope you can join us.
Thank you for fostering a welcoming community for all residents, from all walks of life. The outpouring of support for this effort has been inspirational, and we couldn’t do this without you.
Executive Director, YMCA of the University of Illinois