When you volunteer at the University YMCA, you provide leadership and talent vital to empowering people and communities to learn, grow and lead.
Some of the activities that volunteers of the University Y engage include:
- Coordinate and staff Dump & Run, the Y's annual Recycling Program
- Lead our committees and shape organizational policy
- Document and archive the University Y's history through multi-media
- Extend a hand to the immigrant community through the La Linea helpline
- Help the Y's events run smoothly
- Learn and serve alongside communities all over the United States
- Tutor and mentor youth in Champaign-Urbana schools
Need to borrow a camera? No worries, we have a camera you can check out.
Student Group Volunteer Opportunities
Y Student Group, VIS-A-VIS, offers volunteers two different environments in which they can tutor. Your role as a volunteer in the school is to provide a vital instructional service as a one-on-one tutor or classroom aide in the Champaign-Urbana schools. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, visit their Volunteer page.
Alternative Seasonal Breaks: Applications for Trips
Alternative Seasonal Breaks (commonly ASB) is a student-run, non-profit volunteer organization of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and the University YMCA. ASB sends U of I students on nationwide service trips four times throughout the year. During their fall, winter, spring, and summer breaks, ASB participants travel throughout the country to learn about and actively combat social justice and environmental issues. Visit their website to learn more about what trips are available and how to apply.